Search / Filter
Advanced Options

Total Care vehicle leasing explained

Total Care vehicle leasing explained
19 February 2019

What is total Care?

Total care is a simple and inclusive Vehicle leasing solution to provide a brand new insured lease vehicle. You choose the vehicle, duration and mileage to suit your needs, and our package provides you with a brand new, insured vehicle, complete with damage protection, regular maintenance and breakdown assistance. All you do is add fuel.

What’s included?

  • A contract hire vehicle with consolidated fixed monthly rentals for up to five years
  • Third party liability insurance
  • Own damage protection covering the cost of repairs in the event of an accident, fire or theft
  • Glass damage protection for the repair or replacement of all body glass
  • No financial gap on your vehicle in the event of a write-off
  • Guaranteed maintenance cover providing regular servicing, unscheduled repairs and tyres
  • Breakdown assistance including a replacement vehicle for the first 48 hours
  • Motor Insurers' Database (MID) updates on your behalf throughout the life of the contract to ensure legal compliance and the prevention of fines

Driver Criteria:

·         be between 21 and 70 years of age

·         have held a valid UK/EU driving licence for at least one year.

·         have had no more than two at-fault claims in the last two years.

·         have not more than 6 points on their driving licence, and they must no have been subject to a driving ban within the last five years.

·         have not been advised to stop driving by DVLA or a Medical Practitioner due to medical conditions.

·         be the Lessee or the Lessee's spouse or partner (for Personal Contract Hire and Regulated Contract Hire).

·         be an employee of the Lessee or an employee's spouse or partner (for Contract Hire).


Vehicle Criteria:

The following vehicles are not acceptable for Total Care:

·         Vehicles other than cars or LCVs.

·         Gross Vehicle Weight greater than 3.5 tons.

·         Left-hand-drive vehicles.

·         Vehicles with more than eight passenger seats

·         Vehicles designed or adapted for military / enforcement use.

·         Vehicles not supplied by Total Care.


Total care is available for both personal and business users.


Who provides cover for my vehicle?

Greenval Insurance Company Limited insure the vehicle for third party liability cover. They are an insurance company owned by BNP Paribas who specialise in fleet motor insurance.

Total Care provides cover for the Own Damage Protection, explained in more detail below.

What is Own Damage Protection?

Total Care will be responsible for repairing any damage to your vehicle resulting from an incident. You will not be responsible for the costs but you will be required to pay the Customer Incident Charge as further explained below. The Own Damage Protection does not include routine maintenance (which is also explained in more detail below). The Own Damage Protection will not protect you against damage caused or resulting from driver abuse or neglect. If any damage is caused by the fault of a third party, Total Care will recover the costs directly from them.

Who is allowed to drive my vehicle?

Business Users: any employee of your company and their spouse or partner.

Personal Users: the driver named on the agreement and their spouse or partner.

There are restrictions and exclusions which apply, for example, in relation to age, driver history (including medical) and use of the vehicle. The age range allowed for drivers is 23 to 70.

What is an incident?

Incident means an event or accident resulting in damage, loss or theft of the Total Care vehicle or damage to third-party property or personal injury/death of a third party.

I've had an accident. What do I do?

You must contact Total Care at the earliest opportunity when it is safe and legal to do so. Please call the Driver Support Contact Centre on 0370 600 4499 and select 'report an accident'.

Total Care's Accident Management partner will record the relevant details and either get your vehicle recovered if it is immobile or allocate a repairer.

Is the fee for the Total Care service fixed for the contract term?

Yes, you monthly rental will only change if we mutually agree a change (if applicable) or as a result of Total Care exercising its rights under the contract, for example: if you travel materially more miles than agreed (and the vehicle is recontracted) or the vehicle is involved in two or more "at fault" incidents in a 12 month period. In this case, Total Care will discuss your options with you.

What is Glass Protection?

Total Care is responsible for repairing and replacing body glass to your vehicle. You must report the damage to Total Care and the repair will be arranged via Total Care's network. You will be required to pay a per-incident charge which is fixed at £50 per incident where it is necessary to replace the glass. No CIC applies where the glass is repaired.

Am I entitled to a replacement vehicle when mine is off the road due to an accident?

If the repairer has a courtesy vehicle available while your vehicle is being repaired, you will be able to utilise this subject to their conditions, and the insurance cover costs and/or any administration fee must be paid by you directly to the repairer.

If you would like a separate rental vehicle, Total Care can assist in booking this and the cost of the vehicle including the collision damage waiver insurance provided by the rental company must be covered by you.

The rental agreement will be between you and the rental company. For your convenience, we will invoice you for the costs or charges so that you do not need to set up an account directly with the rental company.

Am I entitled to a replacement vehicle when mine is off the road due to a mechanical failure / maintenance work?

If the repairer has a courtesy vehicle available while your vehicle is being repairs, you will be able to utilise this subject to their conditions, and the insurance cover costs and/or any administration fee must be paid by you directly to the repairer.

If you have broken down and the vehicle is not repairable at the roadside, the recovery agent can provide a rental vehicle for 48 hours as part of the breakdown scheme.

What happens if my vehicle is deemed a total loss as a result of an incident?

The lease will be terminated as soon as our assessors have confirmed that it is not economical to repair the vehicle. At this point, if you were considered to be "at fault", Total Care will invoice the CIC to you. Your liability for the monthly rental of the vehicle will cease at this point.

If there is a third party at fault, Total Care will seek to recover the costs from the third party's insurer. If the losses are not recoverable due any act or omission by you/your driver, Total Care reserve the right to invoice any losses to you.

What happens if my vehicle is stolen?

You must notify the Police and then Total Care (quoting your crime reference number) within 24 hours. Total Care's accident management provider will monitor progress directly with the Police. If the vehicle has not been recovered within 21 days, or has been recovered but then deemed a total loss, the vehicle lease will be terminated at Total Care and your monthly rental liability will cease for any future rentals. At this point, Total Care will invoice the relevant CIC to you.

If there has been an act, omission or negligence by you or your driver which contributed to or resulted in the theft of the vehicle (e.g. if the keys are left in the car) then the termination costs will be borne by you. If at a later point the vehicle is recovered and sold or any monies are received, these will be credited back to you up to the value of the charge you received.

If the vehicle is deemed stolen and not recovered, or deemed a total loss, what other liabilities do I have other than the monthly rental?

Total Care could levy a maintenance charge if the vehicle is running over its contract.

Early Termination

Should you wish to return the Contract Hire vehicle before the end of the contract, please contact Total Care who will discuss the process and financial implications with you. You will be liable to make a payment in accordance with your agreement.

What is included in the maintenance cover?

Total Care covers the costs of all routing work that is due to occur during the contract term (based on manufacturer guidelines). This will include servicing, maintenance, repairs, premium tyres*, batteries, breakdown cover, exhaust and any worn items.

* Total Care has a fair play policy on tyres. This means that damaged tyres will be replaced inside the maintenance budget. Replacements in the event of abuse, neglect, theft or vandalism will be recharged.

Total Care's maintenance scheme does not cover driver abuse items, damage or replacement as a result of neglect. These charges will be billed via a vehicle services invoice.

If you need servicing work or tyres, please contact the Total Care Driver Contact Centre on 0370 600 4499 who will assist you with a local supplier.

What do I do if I want to take my vehicle overseas?

Please contact Total Care on 0370 600 4499 at least 14 days in advance of travel and provide details of your travel destination(s), dates and details of drivers and any additional drivers. Total Care will provide you with a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (form VE103) to replace the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate (logbook). This is a legal requirement. A standard fee of £15 + VAT applies for this document. An insurance certificate confirming that the vehcile is insured to be taken out of the country for the period of travel will be provided to you.

If you already have a valid VE103 from a previous trip, you will still need to contact Total Care to get a new insurance certificate.

If you have been unreasonably delayed in your return and your insurance certificate is due to expire, you will need to contact Total Care for permission to extend the cover, and a new insurance certificate will be issued. It will be your responsibility to print this document and retain it in the vehicle.

Are my personal belongings covered?

No. Total Care is providing Contact Hire on an insured vehicle. Total Care is the policyholder and cannot therefore extend the policy to cover your personal belongings.


Streamline Vehicle Leasing are a credit broker and not a lender, we are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered No : 658330

Registered in England & Wales with company number : 04163324 | Data Protection No : Z7588060 | VAT No : 814298911

Registered Office : Wessex House, 66 High Street, Honiton, Devon, Ex14 1PD

Copyright © 2018 Streamline Vehicle Leasing, All rights reserved.

Driven by MyDVS